Monday, October 7, 2013

Stop #12: 1,000 ways to Google

As the most popular search engine on the Web, it is hardly surprising that Google is not a one-trick pony.  It seems that the list of things you can accomplish on Google increases everyday, and I would not be surprised if that was their goal! As an avid user of Google Translate, to help me with Spanish, and Google Drive, to help me collaborate on group projects, I was really excited about this Thing.  There are some parts of Google that I find myself to be pretty savvy on, but there are several that I didn't even know existed before this assignment.

Google Alerts for instance.  This is a highly useful tool that I really wish I had discovered sooner.  Keeping up with the Government Shutdown is way easier with email alerts about the most current stories, granted there is an excessive amount of them at the moment.  However, this tool is essential for keeping up with current events that are important to you.

Another tool that I never really used is Google Calendar.  This tool would be great to use in the classroom to keep my classroom schedules in one place.  I can also share those schedules with my students if I create it with a school-only email address.  This would ensure that all of my students have access to the most up-to-date schedule, and have no reason to miss a deadline because they "forgot" or "didn't know it was due."

The tool that I most plan to use in my classroom is Google Scholar.  Many high schools do not get the funding to have access to massive online databases like colleges can, so few high school students learn how to conduct online searches for scholarly sources.  It is important to be acclimated with the uses of such sources, so I would like to be able to teach my students how to use Google Scholar when they write research papers in my class.

No comments:

Post a Comment