Monday, October 7, 2013

Stop #10: RSS feeds?

What? What is that? Random Silly Stuff? Ridiculously Slap-happy Seals? No, RSS is this cool thing that puts all of your favorite websites in ONE PLACE.  Crazy right? I never really knew what it was until I took this Educational Technologies class and now I feel like I have been out of the loop!  RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication.  And that's it.  So simple.  All you have to do is sign up for a Web Syndication site and start adding your favorite sites.  They will pop up in your feed and you can access all of the web content you personally want to see in one click.

I love everything about this, so I really wish I had known about it earlier!  There are so many websites that I really want to keep up with, but they get lost in the riptide and I never see them again.  With my new RSS feed, I can instantly add any sites that interest me to my feed and access them when I feel like it.  I can also categorize them so I don't have my DIYs mingling with my Educational Technology's.

This technology is also great for the classroom.  If I require that my students make blogs, I can easily keep up with their progress by adding them to my feed.  I can also have my students make a feed to keep up on current events or follow educational blogs or websites.  Oh the possibilities.....

Teachers can use this tool to keep up with technology in the classroom and educational policies in government.  By tracking certain news sites or edublogs, teachers can stay informed and increase their opportunities for implementing new things in the classroom.

RSS feeds are my new future.

No comments:

Post a Comment